Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Teaching a Valuable Skill: The Art of "The Look".




















Recently, I was faced with a most peculiar request from a friend who jokingly asked me how I managed to get the attention of just about any guy. Mind you, she said this while we were sitting and eating lunch in a crowded diner. She pointed out to me that different guys kept glancing over my way (to which I was oblivious to).

"Honestly?" I said to my eager to know friend, "I learned it from Liz Taylor" (see picture above). I told her how I watched old movies with her in it and how she could command attention from any man by not even saying one word and just giving him that "look".

"Look?" my friend said. "Ha! I don't believe you! Show me." So, I proceeded to show her a little trick I learned many years ago when I first watched the movie Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, starring Liz Taylor and Paul Newman. In the movie, Liz had a certain "come hither" look that she gave to her leading man and when she gave it, you best believe he took notice of her.

So, I told my friend to point out a guy in the diner so that I could demonstrate what I was talking about. I tried giving my friend "the look" but I couldn't stop laughing long enough to do so. It is a technique best observed in action so that one can learn.

My friend pointed out a guy, mid-thirties, sitting with another man in a  booth close to ours. "Well, go ahead. Let's see this look that you are talking about." she chirped to me. So, I glanced over a bit at the man. Just enough to catch his eyes when he was looking around a bit. He would glance over and I would shyly look away a few times.

Then when I caught that he was looking over at me, I tilted my chin downward a bit, and gave him the big "Doe-Eyed" glance with a coy smile.

The guy lit up like a Christmas tree and shyly smiled back. I looked away, so as to not "stare" for too long -just enough to get him to take notice. My friend squealed "Oh my Gawd! He is still glancing over here! Seriously! You should see it!"

So I looked over once again and this time glanced at him and gave a warm smile attached with another "look". My friend was in awe. "WOW. So that's what you're talking about, okay. I get it." I encouraged her to give a "look" to a guy that I pointed out, to which she got similar results. She was beaming from ear to ear.

By the end of our lunch, the waitress came over and I asked for the bill. She smiled and informed me that "the gentleman over there" had taken care of it. She handed me the receipt and his business card. I looked at it and flipped it over to read a note scribbled on the back...

"That's some look you've got. If I wasn't married, I'd be asking you out to dinner." - Jason

I smiled and nodded towards the man who politely nodded back. On the way out, I showed my friend the results that only a certain "look" can achieve. My friend decided to put her new skill to work and scored herself a date with a man who works in her building.

Ah, the power of the eyes...

Later,

Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment