Monday, November 23, 2009

Raining Squirrels.



So for those of you that know me, you have heard me talk about my problem with squirrels, especially one squirrel in particular. Last summer, I thought it would be cute to set a peanut out each day on the back porch and watch this adorable little squirrel come up and take the peanut in the mornings.

I thought I was helping him out by feeding him. That was right up until he began eating my potted vegetable plants and once, staring at me through the kitchen window. Then he became destructive - toppling over plants, unlit candles and anything left on the deck. He ate all my vegetable plants and began a regular stint of sitting on the hood or roof of my car, and only moving when I got real close and swatted at him in order to make him leave.

The squirrel in question basically has NO FEAR of people. He observes me whenever I am outside and I know it is him by the bent up looking tail. He sits and watches, and on from time to time, makes little "barking" noises at me if I am just outside sitting on my deck. During the last few months, he has become defunct.

He has actually fallen out of a tree and onto ME a few times, with today being the forth time. It really isn't funny. When he lands on me he will run across me and leap onto the fence/my car/whatever else happens to be in his path.

But seriously, this has got to stop! I am worried that these aren't just random acts of squirrel violence. I am convinced he is targeting me or worse, that he has some disease that keeps him off-balance, thus explaining why he has fallen from the trees and onto me a few times.

Sure it may seem funny, and I admit after the first time it happened I thought it was hilarious, but now it is getting old. The squirrel has got to go. I am checking into humane traps and plan to bait and leave one out to catch him and release him out on some property where he can't harass me any longer. It's either that or I am going to make a fur coat for a Barbie doll out of him.

So, hopefully I will catch him or I guess I have to figure out a way to make a truce - maybe by leaving out an entire bag of peanuts in the yard, away from the house for him and a sign of respect, much like mobsters give cash as a sign of respect. This squirrel just might be the Don Vito of some Benton Park squirrel mob.

We'll see what happens...

Peas-out...

A


No comments:

Post a Comment